Monday, January 25, 2010

Yale Days

There are days when I am just blown away by the sheer amazingess of Yale. Today has been one of those days. I went from an amazing art history lecture to a wonderful discussion on regency romance novels to two readings by two incredible but totally different authors.

The first was my teacher, Lauren Willig, who is the author of the very successful Pink Carnation series. She read an excerpt from her new book, The Betrayal of the Blood Lily.

Just a few hours earlier I had been in class with Professor Willig, so it was very cool to see her other life. As a future teacher (hopefully) and writer I am finding Professor Willig's class fascinating because we are being taught by two people who actually know what it is like to write and teach. I hope to learn a lot from them, and I can't wait to read the book!

The second reading was by Pulitzer prize winning novelist, Junot Diaz. If you haven't read The Brief Wonderous Life of Oscar Wao, go do so immediately. I only got to stay for a little while but Mr. Diaz was so warm and friendly and his reading took my breath away.


It is days like these which remind me why going to a place like Yale is worth it. It is sometimes hard to keep everything in perspective. There are so many amazingly talented students here, and people can get very competitive. It takes days like today to help me remember the potential Yale has for shaping the teacher I become.

No comments:

Post a Comment