Friday, December 4, 2009

DIY: Stud Edition

A little while ago I posted about a jcrew sweatshirt with sequins all over it (and which I can't find anywhere on their website now). I was hoping to recreate this by buying sequin fabric and sewing onto the front of a plain sweatshirt. Unfortunately I didn't find any fabric I liked, so I decided to combine the two projects (studding and sequins) and make a studded sweatshirt!

My studs have arrived (from studsandspikes.com duh) and I am getting ready to embark on what I am told will be a time consuming and possibly painful diy project.

Materials:
*needlenose pliers
*awl
*studs
*whatever you want to stud (thrifted hanes sweatshirt and black leather wallet)



The black piece of leather laying on top is a headband. I found tiny little studs at Joann Fabrics and used them on a piece of leather trim.

Studding a sweatshirt or fabric is easy because the studs go in without you having to make holes first. The wallet took me much longer because I had to poke holes and make sure they were the right space apart etc. I tried to get pictures of the process but most turned out blurry.





Wearing American Apparel leggings/ thrifted sweatshirt

The Salvation Armys and Goodwills in CT are the best. They aren't picked over and have tons of great stuff. There are four big ones within a ten minute drive of campus, one within walking distance of my dorm. This sweatshirt was $1 and the wallet was $1.99.



I wanted a more interesting design on the back than just straight studs so I experimented until I found a layout I liked.



The headband was the easiest piece to do. I didn't care that much about getting the studs in a straight line, I wanted a kind of haphazard look.




And with that I'm going to sign off. I have a busy weekend ahead of me, next week is our reading week and then finals. I've got two papers and two final exams so it's going to be a library kind of weekend. Hopefully I'll get a study break or two in.

Have a good weekend!

1 comment: