Monday, March 26, 2012

This past year...

So my last post is from early july. Every once and a while a friend will turn to me and ask when I'm going to start blogging again. I always shrug and change the subject. The truth is, I loved blogging. But when school started up in September I simply didn't have the time to devote that I had had in my sophomore and junior years. Senior year was (and still is) a whole different ball game. Not only do I have my regular classes, my senior project/essay, and the shows I costume design, I'm also supposed to be figuring out what the heck I'm going to do with the rest of my life.

A few weeks ago I started hearing back from graduate programs. A few days ago I made my decision and next year I will be moving to the big city to start a Master's program in Visual Cultures: Costume History at NYU, Steinhardt. I'm so excited for this new step in my academic career but it got me thinking about what else I will be doing in New York next year. In particular, I'm hoping that I'll have more time to develop this blog and find my voice as a blogger.

One of the biggest reasons I stopped blogging (besides the lack of time) was my unease at where I fit in the blogging world. I read so many blogs daily, and click through hundreds more over the weeks, and I was worried that my blog, while fun for friends and family to read, offered nothing new. Everything gets reposted these days, and that's fine, but I didn't want to restart my blog without some original content.

I'll still be posting cute shoes and DIY tutorials, because those things make me happy. But what I'm hoping is that eventually this blog will become a place where I can share the research I'm doing as a graduate student and as a writer. This summer my sister and I will be moving to Lakeside, Michigan to work as a writer (me) and a waitress/cook (Leah). We have a bunch of projects we'll be working on together, including a cooking show in which a cook (once again, Leah), teaches an idiot (that's me) how to make basic foodstuffs.

For right now my posting will probably continue to be erratic as I finish up school, move to NYC, and then pack up and move once again to Michigan. But watch this space, because (hopefully) soon we'll be back up and running!

No comments:

Post a Comment